Sunday, February 25, 2024

" Wings of Ink "by Angelina J. Steffort


          Fort Perenis, a Gaurdianforsaken place …

 Nine months in a cell where the darkness never comes to light, the cries of those being dragged to the gallows, the nightmares, the whispered tales of feathered fairies searching for women, brides, that go missing and never return and the pain in my bad hand. The hand that had been broken when I struggled to escape the guards. The pain of watching Ludelle, my love, executed before my eyes. I couldn’t save him, or any of the others of the Wild Ray. I am the last. Why does the General keep me alive?

 
Then the guard stops outside my door, enters, and bids me move. The General has found a use for me at last. A creature out of nightmares with black feathers for arms, claws for hands, his face more bird than human has come to take me to Askarea, the fairylands. The tales of brides are true, and I am to be the next sacrifice. I awake in a room when a voice calls out to ask if I am alive. Like the one who brought me here, but more human in appearance. This is the Crow King, the beast I am to marry.

 Escape is foremost in Ayna’s mind, but there is no escape. She will be no meek submissive bride, but Myron, the Crow King, has promised her he will not force her into consummating the marriage as long as she presents herself as trying to comply with his dictates. She must always have a guard when she leaves her room, she is not allowed to leave the castle. There are those among the crow fairies that would see her dead. There is a curse on these people and the brides are the key to breaking it. There is history that is slowly shared as Ayna tries to become accustomed to Myron and her new life. She refuses to back down even in the face of the hatred many hold for her and will slowly come realize the dark haunts Myron and even he struggles to keep it at bay. There is something about him that makes her want to be close to him, to reach out and help.

 Angelina J Steffort has reimagined the tale of Beauty and her Beast bringing the darker side of the tale to us where curses have turned fae into gruesome beasts, dark magic has a hand on Myron’s throat, adventure leads to haunting dange, where hope and love dares to grow in a forest filled with evil, and revenge.  Ayna won’t be taken without a fight. She has spirit and despite the torture, heartache, and pain she has faced she will not back down. Her empathic voice is clearly heard throughout the book. Myron, is a bit harder to read. His inner thoughts and feelings are more hidden. Thankfully this isn’t a simple tale. It is filled with deceit, complicated hidden hope, dark times and like a rose that grows in concrete love will find a way to bring light to the dark heart of the Crow King. If I have one discord, I would have liked to hear more of Myron’s thoughts/impressions in order to garner a better understanding of him. He was a bit of an enigma that I want to learn more about. In so saying…

    I only came up for coffee, this book entwined itself so much around me, held me to the end and dropped me on my butt. How did it end so quickly I wasn’t ready. With cliffhangers I guess I never am. I highly recommend this paranormal tale, especially if you enjoy your Grimm’s Tale unaltered.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

As “Wolf Mate” left me struggling to search for who might have wanted Skylar so bad they would ambush her and spirit her away. For what purp...