Friday, May 10, 2024

 The Alpha's Protective Mate 

         by Jaymin Snow

       Release Date:  May 13, 2024                              

Review by Katy Grant   

The Before:

   With her beloved at her side, life is slowly drifting away. They’d gone against the laws of their species, quelled a war, spent a lifetime together, and raised children they outlived. Only their daughter Lillith would be left behind. As his beloved takes her last breath, his wolf doesn’t mourn. It quietly follows the beautiful red head with green eyes into their next adventure as his eyes slowly close. Their love would follow, reaching out for the future.

 

Present Day:

   I tried to avoid the wolf shifters who came into the café where I work. It had taken me years to pull myself up, finish school and save money to become a veterinarian. I have Mano, my cat and a few friends, but trusting anyone with my secrets could cost me my life and possibly theirs.  My father had thrown me out into the night to die, when I was fourteen for being a weak vampire. Now living/hiding in shifter territory, it is almost as dangerous for me as if my family discovered I was still alive. My family history could easily get me killed if they realized that my father is Beruth Sanguinite, Head of the Nelo Clan of vampires. Cruel beyond measure her brother and father had sold drugs to the shifters until her brother had been caught and killed.  

 

Robert Montgomery was the Alpha of the wolf shifters, rich powerful and deadly. For the last two years he had been coming into the café where I worked, I tried to avoid him as much as possible. Today for some reason he has chosen to take notice of me, and I am terrified. After my shift at the café, I headed to the animal shelter where I volunteer. That night as I step outside to lower the shutters, I see a man, hurt bleeding. If I leave him, he will die. As I stepped out to help him, I realized I knew him; it’s Robert Montgomery.  And then, Hell steps up in the form of two vicious vampires’ intent on killing both the alpha and me.

 

Although Charlotte had accepted her need to blend into the background, masking her true self meant never finding love, have children of her own or get too close to others, always fearing discovery. Robert would always wear the horrible scars on one side of his face given to him by his half siblings, but he was now Alpha, made laws that the wolf shifters followed. However, his life was a lonely one, seeing only disgust in the eyes of the women who covet his wealth and power as his mate. Charlotte and Robert are not only drawn to each other but drawn into the plots of others trying to tear down the strong hold the wolf shifters have on the surrounding areas.

 

There is so much going on here but at the heart of it is the love Charlotte and Robert found for each other despite the odds and the people against them, where  their past and their future comes together. The story is a maze, they will navigate together to put a stop to an evil genius and the men that would serve him and work to blend the paranormal and human world in peace. But be warned, the romance can be spicy at times, there is murder, drugs, missing shifters, including children, and vicious power-hungry villains. Where there is life there can sometimes be sacrifice that is heartbreaking. 

 

From the very beginning of the story, I was swept up in this telling as I tried to navigate the maze, I felt like I walked each step with the characters, shared Charlotte’s pain, mistrust, her need to give and receive love she was so long without. Robert’s tale may be a little less laid out, but the reader is given enough to fill in the blanks on their own. When I finished this book, I wanted to turn around and read it at a more leisurely pace for anything I might have missed but to travel the path Robert and Charlotte walked to the end. I never saw the end coming when the dust of battle finally cleared, to offer the HEA for some of my favorite characters. I recommend this story to those who enjoy paranormal romance with heat, danger, a bit of mystery and spicy romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  The Haunted Heart                                      by  Penelope Gerhardt                                                        Comp...